Baked Gnocchi with Cream Pomodoro Sauce
The simple tomato sauce gets tons of flavor from olive oil that has been infused with fresh herbs and coats the potato gnocchi.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil4 stems fresh flat leaf parsley4 stems fresh oregano4 stems fresh rosemary4 stems fresh basil1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots3 garlic cloves, minced1 tablespoon Red Gold® Tomato Paste 6 ozSalt and black pepper to tastePinch red pepper flakes2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes 14.5 oz or 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes 28 oz1/4 cup heavy cream8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheeseFresh basil leaves torn for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray an oven safe dish, 8 inch round baking dish, with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil to large saucepan over medium heat. Add parsley, oregano, rosemary and basil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the herbs become crisp. Remove herbs and discard. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Now add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minutes.; Stir in tomato paste, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, cooking about 3 minutes more. Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to saucepan along with the juice. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until slightly thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cream and gnocchi.
- Transfer half of mixture into prepared dish. Top with half of the cheese. Then add remaining sauce and top with remaining cheese. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes. If you want to brown cheese, place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Allow baked gnocchi to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Then top with fresh basil leaves. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.