Pork Chili Verde
Chili verde is typically chunks of pork shoulder cooked in a green chili sauce. We make our version quickly in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. We also use green salsa that is a blend jalapenos, chilies, garlic and tomatillos to cut down on prep time. Masa is added at the end to make it thick and hearty. This green chili can be ladled into bowls, served on tortillas or over rice.
4-5 pounds pork shoulder, cut into chunks, about 2 1/2 inch cubes1 small onion, chopped2 garlic cloves, minced2 cups chicken broth1 (10 ounce) can Red Gold® Original Tex-Mex Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 10 oz2 teaspoons Mexican oregano2 teaspoons ground cumin1 teaspoon ground coriander1 teaspoon chili powder1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilies1 (16 ounce) jar green salsa1/4 cup masa, can add up to 1/2 cup depending on desired thickness2 limes, cut into wedgesSour creamFresh cilantro
Instant Pot Cooking Directions:
- Press the Sauté button on pot and add oil, allow to heat up for a few minutes. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add pork to hot pan and brown on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. May have to do this in a couple of batches, you do not want to over crowd the pot. You want to brown the meat, not steam it. Remove browned pork to a plate.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until fragrant and just soft. Deglaze the pot with chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits.
- Add the pork back to the pot along with any juices from the plate. To the pot add diced tomatoes, oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, green chilies and green salsa. Bring to a boil.
- Place lid on and lock in place. Make sure valve is set to seal. Press the Meat/Stew button and adjust the time to 45 minutes. May take a few minutes for it to come to pressure and start cooking (time will count down once it is up to pressure). When time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Check pork to make sure it is fork tender, if not place lid back on and cook and additional 10 minutes on Meat/Stew setting.
- While pot is naturally releasing pressure, mix ¼ cup of masa in a bowl with warm water to make a roux or thin paste. Add roux to pork and stir to dissolve.
- Set to Sauté and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with lime wedges, sour cream and cilantro.
Stovetop Cooking Directions:
- Heat oil in dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown pork in same pan until browned on all sides. Deglaze the pan with chicken broth, scraping up brown bits. Add the onions and garlic back to the pan along with diced tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- To the pork, add oregano, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper, stir well to combine. Add green chilies and green salsa. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours or until pork is tender.
- Mix ¼ cup of warm water with the corn flour to make a roux or thin paste. Add roux to pork, stir to dissolve the roux and simmer 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a squeeze of lime, sour cream and cilantro.