A super rich, classic 'bacon and egg' spaghetti dish. Great to serve for company. Our twist on an Italian classic - using red, ripe, Red Gold Tomatoes!
1 (16 ounce) box spaghetti2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil4 ounces pancetta, or slab bacon, cubed4 garlic cloves, minced3 large eggs, beaten1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz or 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes 28 oz, drainedSea salt and ground black pepper to taste1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Bring about 6 quarts of generously salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. When the pasta is done, reserve ½ cup of the water, then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and garlic; sauté for about 3 minutes or until meat is crisp and golden and has rendered its fat; turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs and cheese until well combined.
- Return the skillet to medium heat; add half of the reserved pasta water to the skillet. Toss in the spaghetti and agitate the pan over the heat for a few seconds until the bubbling subsides. Most of the water will have evaporated.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the egg mixture and stirring quickly until the eggs thicken. The residual heat will cook the eggs, but work quickly to prevent the eggs from scrambling. If the sauce seems too thick, thin it out with a little bit of the reserved pasta water. Add the diced tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Season the carbonara with salt and black pepper. Mound the spaghetti carbonara into a warm serving bowl and garnish with chopped parsley and plenty of grated Parmesan cheese.