Enjoy a great beginning to your next dinner party. This restaurant favorite recipe is bursting with a blend of vegetable flavors and topped off with a touch of heavy cream, making the rich soup smooth and luscious. We included Instant Pot cooking directions!
Stovetop Cooking Directions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and shallots to the pan; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add the salt, black pepper, and 4 basil leaves; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, canned petite diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, blender or using an immersion blender; blend half of the soup until semi-smooth; leaving some pieces visible. Pour blended soup into a saucepan and repeat the process with the remaining half. Add the cream and heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with basil leaves.
Instant Pot Cooking Directions
- Press the Saute button on pressure cooker and add the butter when hot. Melt butter, then add onion, carrots, garlic, and shallots to the pot; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, black pepper, and chopped basil leaves, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, canned petite diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, place the lid on the Instant Pot, and set to Manual, High Pressure, and set time for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, allow for natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to Release. Carefully blend soup using an immersion blender until the soup is semi-smooth leaving some visible tomato pieces. Add the cream and heat for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with remaining basil leaves.