Experience a delicious burst of flavor when you try shredded chicken empanadas with olives. Simply combine shredded chicken, onion, olives, mushrooms and tomatoes!
Filling2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 small yellow onion, chopped1/2 cup diced green olives2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast1 cup diced cooked mushrooms2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley1 tablespoon flour1 cup heavy creamSalt and black pepper to taste
Shells1/4 pound butter2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour1/2 teaspoon salt2 egg yolks, beaten2 tablespoons milk3 tablespoons water1 egg, beaten
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. When heated add the onion and olives and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, parsley and tomatoes. Let the mixture cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl dissolve the flour in the cream. Add to chicken mixture and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In a bowl cut butter into flour and salt. Add 2 egg yolks, milk and water; stir to combine or just process these ingredients until it forms a ball. Let rest covered for 1 hour.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and a rolling pin. Roll the dough out to about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 4-inch-round pastry-cutting mold, cut circles from the dough. (Alternatively use a knife and trace around a 4-inch plate to form the circles.)
- Gather the dough scraps and form into a ball again. Roll out the dough and cut more circles. (If the dough springs back and is difficult to roll out, let it rest before rolling again.) Makes about 16 dough circles.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take 1 of the cut circles and place 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling in the center. Brush the edges of the empanada with the beaten egg. Fold the circle in half to form a half moon and seal the edges together with a fork or pinch with your fingers. (Be mindful when sealing to squeeze out any air pockets.) Place on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough circles, spacing the formed empanadas a few inches apart. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Option: Make smaller circles to prepare appetizers with this recipe.