Chili Mac and Cheese
This delicious chili mac and cheese with ground beef, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and spices is cooked all in one pot--including the macaroni! Recipe by Laura Vitale, from Laura in the Kitchen
1 tablespoon olive oil1 pound lean ground beef1 medium onion, chopped2 garlic cloves, minced1 tablespoon chili powder1 teaspoon ground cumin1 teaspoon dried oregano2 cups water1 cup milk8 ounces elbow macaroni, or any short cut posta of your choice1/2 cup sour cream2 cups shredded cheddar cheese4 green onions, sliced thinhot sauce, optional
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add the olive oil and preheat over medium high heat. Add the ground beef along with the onion and a small pinch of salt. Cook the mixture for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the ground beef is fully cooked and the onions have developed some color (make sure to break up the ground beef as much as you can using a wooden spoon.) Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, spices, water and milk; stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta, adjust the seasoning to taste, cover the pot with a lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream and cheese. Stir until sour cream and cheese are melted and well combined. Serve in a bowl topped with green onions.
- Optional: For a spicier flavor add a couple drops of hot sauce.