Fresh Harvest Lasagna
A delicious variation on the traditional lasagna. This recipe is filling and a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 large zucchini, chopped1 yellow summer squash, chopped1 medium onion, chopped1/2 red bell pepper, chopped1 cup fresh chopped broccoli florets1 large carrot, minced1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped3 garlic cloves, minced1/2 cup water1 teaspoon Italian seasoningSalt to taste1 (16 ounce) box traditional lasagna noodles, uncooked1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese3 cups shredded Italian blend cheese1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, onion, bell pepper, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms; sauté until vegetables are crisp tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute, remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl combine water, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, ½ vegetable mixture, 1 cup of Italian blend cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining Italian blend cheese and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one!