Pulled Pork Sandwich with Spicy Ginger Tomato BBQ Sauce & Cabbage Slaw
Slow-roasted pork is shredded and mixed with a tangy barbecue sauce, then loaded into hoagie rolls and topped with homemade coleslaw. This is not a sandwich for the faint of heart!
Pork4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into quarters4 garlic cloves, minced3 tablespoons vegetable oil1 large onion, chopped2 inch piece ginger root, peeled and chopped1 lemon grass stalk, chopped or dried lemon grass2 teaspoons ground cumin1 (15.5 ounce) can coconut milk1 cup chicken stockSea salt and ground black pepper to taste8 crusty rolls, toasted
Spicy Tomato Ginger BBQ Sauce2 tablespoons vegetable oil2 garlic cloves, minced1/2 yellow onion, chopped, about 1 cup2 inch piece ginger root, peeled and chopped2 Serrano peppers, chopped or can substitute with red pepper flakes1 tablespoon smoked paprika1/2 cup packed brown sugar1/2 cup apple cider vinegar2 tablespoons soy sauceSea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cabbage Slaw1/2 head green cabbage, finely chopped1/2 head red cabbage, finely chopped1/2 small red onion, finely chopped1/2 cup fresh cilantro, choppedJuice from 2 limes3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oilSea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pork - Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large, oven proof, kettle over medium heat, heat oil and add pork. Brown on all sides, about 10 minutes and place on a plate. Add garlic and onion to kettle and cook until onion is translucent. Add ginger, lemon grass, cumin, coconut milk, chicken stock, salt and black pepper.
- Return pork to kettle; cover and place in oven for 2 to 2½ hours. Slow Cooker option: put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and allow to cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- When meat has cooled, use 2 forks to break the meat into shreds. Place back into kettle with liquid to keep moist.
- BBQ Sauce – In a saucepan place vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, cook until onions are translucent. Add the ginger, Serrano peppers, paprika, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Let the mixture cool and then add into a blender. Blend until all ingredients are smooth in texture. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cabbage Slaw – in a large bowl combine, cabbages, onion, cilantro, lime juice, oil, salt and black pepper; stir to combine.
- Add BBQ sauce to shredded pork and heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Place pork on the toasted roll and top with cabbage slaw. Enjoy!