Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed clean, cut in half lengthwise, cut into 1/2 inch slices1 large red onion, thinly sliced2 teaspoons chili powder1 teaspoon ground cuminSalt and black pepper to taste1 (4 ounce) can green chilies3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese1 tablespoon butter4 large eggs
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with 2 turns of the pan of olive oil. Add the sausage and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon into small pieces, brown for 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and 3/4 of the chopped red onion to the sausage, season with chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper, stir frequently and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are nice and tender.
- While the hash is cooking, in a small bowl combine the petite diced tomatoes, cilantro and the remaining chopped red onion to create the tomato salsa.
- Once the hash is cooked, add the chopped parsley, stir to combine and transfer hash to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the cheese and cover with aluminum foil, the cheese will melt while you make the fried eggs.
- Wipe clean the skillet you made the hash in, return it to the cook top over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, crack each of the eggs into the skillet, season with a little salt and pepper and fry to desired hardness. Eggs may be scrambled as well.
- Transfer the fried eggs to the top of the hash, sprinkle with the tomato salsa and serve.