Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
This lasagna is a gourmet delight! Crispy bacon, tangy goat cheese, roasted butternut and sage combined with traditional lasagna ingredients in this creamy and savory dish. Perfect for a dinner party to impress your guests, they don't need know how simple it was to put together.
6 slices bacon2 tablespoons minced fresh sage and 2 sprigs of fresh sage leaves6 ounces goat cheese1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese1 egg, beaten1/2 cup water1 teaspoon Italian seasoning1 1/2 cups roasted, smashed butternut squash1 (16 ounce) box traditional lasagna noodles3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Fry bacon in a medium saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove leaves from the 2 sprigs of fresh sage and add to bacon drippings. Fry about 45 seconds or until crisp; remove from skillet. Crumble bacon to use as a garnish.
- In a small bowl combine the goat cheese, ricotta cheese, egg and minced sage.
- In large mixing bowl combine water, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning, stir to combine.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Spread 1/2 cup butternut squash over noodles. Top with ½ of cheese mixture, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; until noodles are cooked. Remove from oven and top with bacon bits and fried sage. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one for a wintry night supper.