Salsa Beef with Green Chili Rice
Flavorful and tender chunks of meat in a savory tomato broth. Serve over rice or egg noodles for an easy meal.
Salsa Beef3 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubesSea salt and ground black pepper to taste4 tablespoons vegetable oil, or oil of choice such as olive or coconut2 teaspoons garlic, chopped or puree1 medium onion, chopped
Green Chili Rice2 1/2 cups white rice, cooked1 tablespoon vegetable oil1 small onion, chopped1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies1 teaspoon garlic, chopped or puree3/4 cup whole milk2 teaspoons corn starch1/2 teaspoon saltfresh ground black pepper, to taste6 ounces Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded or cubed
- Season beef chunks with salt and black pepper. In a large dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. In batches, brown the beef cubes, remove and reserve.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and heat. Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook to brown for 2 minutes. Add all three cans of diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the reserved beef and any accumulated meat juices. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so until meat is pull apart tender. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Could also cook in a slow cooker after browning meat by cooking on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Green Chili Rice:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Heat a medium to large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, green chilies, and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch. Pour mixture over onions and bring to a low boil and cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken. Add the pepper jack cheese and stir to combine and melt the cheese
- Add the cooked rice to the cheese sauce and stir to coat and combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.