Eggplant slices are coated with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked between layers of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese for a filling Italian-inspired meal.
1 large eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick2 eggs, beaten1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano 14.5 oz1 (12 ounce) can Red Gold® Tomato Paste 12 oz2/3 cup water6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheeseParmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dip eggplant slices into eggs, then breadcrumbs, and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Broil 4 inches from heat until brown and tender, about 5 minutes per side. Place in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water; pour over eggplant slices and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.