Fusilli Pasta with Herbed Tomatoes, Almonds, Arugula, and Parmesan
This easy meatless pasta dish is on the table in under 30 minutes, making it a great option for busy weeknights. Peppery arugula is tossed in a velvety tomato sauce. This easy pasta recipe hits all the texture notes with a smooth sauce, chew of the pasta and the crunch from the Marcona almonds.
1 pound (16 ounce) box fusilli pasta, or rotini pasta2 tablespoons olive oil2 garlic cloves, minced1 tablespoon onion, diced1/4 cup white wine1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or less to taste1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano 14.5 oz1/2 teaspoon salt, optional3 cups arugula1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated1/4 cup marcona almonds, chopped
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add garlic and onions. Cook until softened and browned, being careful to not burn the garlic.
- Add the wine to the pan to deglaze and cook until the pan is nearly dry. Add black and red peppers, diced tomatoes, and salt. Cook the sauce at a low simmer while the pasta cooks.
- When the pasta is done, drain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss with the tomato sauce and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add about a 1/2 cup of pasta water to the sauce and toss. The sauce will thicken, add more pasta water to get a nice sauce.
- Add the arugula to the skillet, along with half of the Parmesan cheese and toss to coat the pasta and arugula and slightly melt the cheese. Cook another 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Garnish with chopped almonds and remainder of the Parmesan and serve immediately.