Southwest Breakfast Casserole
1 pound pork sausage1 medium onion, chopped1 red bell pepper, chopped1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, feel free to use 2 cans if you want more heat1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes8 eggs3/4 cup heavy cream1 teaspoon chili powder1 teaspoon ground cumin1/4 teaspoon garlic powderSalt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large skillet cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink. Add red bell pepper, beans, petite diced tomatoes and half the spices (1/2 teaspoon chili powder. ½ teaspoon cumin and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder).
- Add cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and hash browns to the sausage mixture and mix very well.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream, remainder of spices, salt and black pepper.
- Use a 3 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Add half the meat mixture to baking dish and pour half of the egg mixture over sausage mixture. Add remaining half of sausage mixture on top and lastly, add remaining egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes. The casserole is ready when the eggs are set and no longer liquid in the center. Let the dish cool for about 15 minutes before serving.