Authentic Italian Gravy
What makes this gravy authentic? Fresh ingredients, Italian spices and abundance of tomatoes all work together to create a perfectly-textured and expertly flavored gravy. All it takes is some loving care and a bit of time to work its magic.
1 cup red wine, + 2 tablespoons1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil3 beef neck bones, baby back ribs or short ribs1/2 cup chopped onion1/2 cup chopped celery1/2 carrot, minced10 garlic cloves, mincedSalt and black pepper to taste1 (12 ounce) can Red Gold® Tomato Paste 12 oz1 (15 ounce) can 1 quart water4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley1 pound Italian sausage
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place 1 cup red wine, oil, beef neck bones, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and black pepper in a roasting pan; stir to coat.
- Roast neck bones and vegetable mixture in oven until vegetables are tender, 1 hour. Stir in about 2 tablespoons red wine while scraping any brown bits of food off the bottom of the pan. Roast until vegetable are browned, about 30 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a 16 quart stock pot over medium-low heat; simmer for 30 minutes. Add whole peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano and parsley; stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce reduces, 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove neck bones from sauce; scrape marrow out of bones. Add marrow to sauce and simmer until dissolved, 1 to 2 hours.
- Add choice of meat to sauce during the last ½ hour of cooking.
- For a smooth sauce, blend in batches until smooth. Add Italian sausage or other meat to sauce after blending.
- Cooking Option: Cook a pound of pasta in ½ gallon water, just until al dente. After sauce has cooked add ¼ cup pasta water and al dente pasta. Cook until pasta is completely cooked. This allows the pasta and sauce to combine their flavors for an exceptional tasting meal.