Best Ever Tomato Soup
Enjoy a great beginning to your next dinner party. This restaurant favorite recipe is bursting with a blend of vegetable flavors and topped off with a touch of heavy cream, making the rich soup smooth and luscious. We included Instant Pot cooking directions!
Stovetop Cooking Directions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and shallots to the pan; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add the salt, black pepper, and 4 basil leaves; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, canned petite diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove from the heat.
- In a food processor, blender or using an immersion blender; blend half of the soup until semi-smooth; leaving some pieces visible. Pour blended soup into a saucepan and repeat the process with the remaining half. Add the cream and heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with basil leaves.
Instant Pot Cooking Directions
- Press the Saute button on pressure cooker and add the butter when hot. Melt butter, then add onion, carrots, garlic, and shallots to the pot; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, black pepper, and chopped basil leaves and stir.
- Add the ketchup, canned petite diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, place the lid on the Instant Pot, and set to Manual, High Pressure, and set time for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, allow for natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to Release. Carefully blend soup using an immersion blender until the soup is semi-smooth leaving some visible tomato pieces. Add the cream and heat for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with remaining basil leaves.