Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cajun spiced chicken is cooked with Andouille sausage, peppers, tomatoes and onion then tossed with a spicy cream sauce and linguine - all in one skillet! Bring a bit of New Orleans to your table with this delicious dish.
12 ounces linguine, cooked and drained, reserve 1 cup pasta water3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, can adjust to your heat preference2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil2 tablespoons butter1 pound andouille sausage, or 3 links sliced 1/4 inch thick1 green bell pepper, sliced1 red bell pepper, sliced1 medium red onion, sliced3 garlic cloves, minced2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 14.5 oz, drained2 cups chicken broth1 1/4 cups heavy cream1/4 teaspoon dried basil1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepperSalt and black pepper to taste1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook according to the package directions and continue to the next step.
- Place chicken and 1 1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning in a plastic bag. Shake to coat the chicken. Heat one tablespoon of oil and one tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer; sear on one side for about 1 minute. Flip and sear the other side for another minute. Remove the chicken to a large clean plate.
- Brown the sausage in the same skillet. Remove the sausage to the same plate with the chicken.
- Add the remaining oil and butter tot he skillet. When heated, add peppers, onion, and garlic. Sprinkle the remaining cajun seasoning over the vegetables and cook over high heat for 1 minute; stirring gently to brown the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are golden and lightly browned. Add the diced tomatoes, with green chilies; cook for 30 seconds. Remove all of the vegetables from the skillet to the plate with the chicken and sausage.
- With the skillet over high heat, pour in the chicken broth. Cook on high for 3 to 5 minutes, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low and pour in the cream, whisking constantly. Cook for a few minutes until the cream starts to thicken. Add the basil, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper; stir to combine. Sauce will thicken slightly.
- To the skillet, add the chicken, sausage, and vegetables, including any of the juices that have accumulated on the plate. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and hot. Add the cooked linguini and toss. If the mixture is too thick, add about 1/4 of a cup of the reserved pasta water and stir. You can add more pasta water if needed, about 1/4 cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Top with cheese and parsley and enjoy immediately.