Eggplant Florentine Lasagna
Breaded eggplant and spinach are added to our tried and true, simple veggie lasagna recipe to make an extra special dish…you won’t miss the meat!
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices1 egg, beaten1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs1/2 cup water1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes 28 oz or 2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes 15 oz2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes Basil, Garlic & Oregano 14.5 oz1 teaspoon Italian seasoningSalt to taste1 (16 ounce) box traditional lasagna noodles, uncooked1 (6 ounce) package fresh baby spinach, washed and patted dry1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large skillet cover bottom with 5 tablespoons oil; heat over medium heat. Place egg in 1 bowl and breadcrumbs in another bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg and then breadcrumbs. Fry on both sides until browned, place on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- In a large bowl combine water, crushed tomato, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles, slightly overlapped, on top of sauce. Top with ½ of eggplant, ½ of spinach, ½ of ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one for a wintry night supper.