Fontina Cheese & Tomato Tart
Plump, flavorful tomatoes and mozzarella cheese are layered on a flaky puff pastry crust. When cut into ‘small bites', it's the perfect bite-sized appetizer for a cocktail or dinner party.
1 (17.3 ounce) package puff pastry, thawed to room temperature1 egg1 tablespoon water1 cup (4 ounces) grated Fontina cheese2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes with Garlic & Olive Oil 14.5 oz, drained or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz, drainedSalt and black pepper to taste2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each sheet of pastry to 11x11 inches. Transfer each to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut a ¾ inch wide strip from each side.
- In a small bowl whisk egg with water and brush on edges of pastry sheets. Line edges with strips forming a border, trimming any overlapping pieces on the corners. Place baking sheets in refrigerator for about 15 minutes
- Brush border with egg mixture. Use a fork to prick pastry within the border, about every ½ inch. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle center of each tart with half of the cheese and arrange half of the petite diced tomatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper then sprinkle with thyme.
- Return to oven and cook until the cheese is melted and pastry is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.