Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Burgers
Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture and taste and make a great meatless option for a "burger". We stuff the caps with a mixture of goat cheese, bell pepper and diced tomatoes with green chilies for a little added kick. You could even serve these as appetizers by using smaller, crimini mushrooms and skip the bun.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush outsides of each mushroom cap with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- In a small skillet heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over medium-low heat. Add shallot, onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Then add bell pepper and diced tomatoes; sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Place goat cheese in a mixing bowl and add heated vegetables; stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Fill mushroom caps with vegetable-goat cheese mixture
- Place mushroom caps on grill. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mushroom is tender.
- Place on a toasted bun.
Option: To serve as an appetizer, skip the bun and stuff the goat cheese mix into crimini or baby bella mushrooms, perfect for a bite-sized appetizer!