Mexican Potato Casserole
1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed1 medium red bell pepper, diced4 green onions, sliced1 (4 ounce) can green chilies3 tablespoons butter2 garlic cloves, minced3 tablespoons flour1 1/2 cups milk1 teaspoon cumin1 teaspoon chili powder2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese1/4 cup salsa1 cup corn chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Drain and reserve the tomatoes and reserve the liquid.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder. Cook for 1 minute. Add the flour, stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add the cold milk and reserved tomato juice and stir with a whisk to thoroughly incorporate and keep lumps from forming. Bring sauce to a gentle boil. Stir frequently to prevent sticking or burning. Add in 1/4 cup of salsa and 1 cup shredded cheese blend. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl combine crushed corn chips and remaining shredded cheese blend. Set aside.
- Begin layering the potato bake with ½ of the thawed hash browns in the bottom of the baking dish. Next sprinkle ½ of the diced red pepper, sliced green onions and half of the diced tomatoes. Pour and spread ½ of the cheese sauce over the vegetables and repeat the layering process. Once you have spread the final layer of cheese sauce, generously sprinkle the crushed corn chip and cheese blend over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until cheese has melted and casserole is bubbly and hot.