Slow Cooker Carnitas
Carnitas are small or shredded pieces of crisp roast pork, eaten as a snack, used as a filling for burritos, tacos or in other Mexican dishes. This recipe is a flavorful and easy way to make tender and juicy carnitas using your slow cooker. A quick trip under the broiler gets them crispy!
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil3 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3 inch cubes1 medium yellow onion, chopped4 garlic cloves, minced3 tablespoons brown sugar1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 14.5 oz, drained1 tablespoon chipotle powder1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano2 teaspoons cumin1 teaspoon chili powderSalt and black pepper to taste2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice1 cup chicken stock6 corn tortillas2 avocados, pitted and slicedChopped fresh cilantro Red Gold® Medium Salsa 15.5 oz
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the pork and sear on each side until browned (about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer pork to the slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, brown sugar, petite diced tomatoes, chipotle powder, Mexican oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, orange juice, lime juice and chicken stock. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours until pork is completely tender and shreds easy with a fork.
- Once the pork is cooked, preheat broiler and prepare two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Remove meat from slow cooker and use a fork to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Place on prepared baking sheets; spreading the pork in an even layer. Reserve juices for later.
- Place one sheet under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until edges of pork begin browning and crisping up. Remove sheet from oven and ladle about ½ cup juice evenly over the pork. Give it a good toss and broil for an additional 5 minutes to get the meat more crispy. Ladle an additional ¼ cup broth over the crispy pork.
- Repeat with second sheet of pork.
- Serve immediately in a warmed corn tortilla along with avocado, cilantro and salsa.
- Option: Recipe great served with beans of your choice.