Slow Cooker Lasagna
This is the perfect recipe when you’re trying to get out the door, but still need a filling meal, ready to go at the end of the day. You can make the sauce the night before, assemble in the morning and dinner is ready that night! With olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, three cheeses and lasagna noodles, it’s the perfect tasting solution. Watch Laura Vitale make it by clicking here.
1 tablespoon olive oil1 pound ground beef1/2 onion, diced3 garlic cloves, minced1 teaspoon Italian seasoning2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz or 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes 28 oz1 (15 ounce) can Red Gold® Tomato Puree 15 oz1 (28 ounce) ricotta cheese, whole milk variety1 egg, lightly beaten1/4 cup Parmesan cheese9 lasagna noodles, not the oven ready typeSalt and black pepper to taste1/2 cup water5 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and 1 cup set aside
- Add oil to a large skillet with high sides, preheat over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, diced onion, garlic and salt and pepper and sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes until beef is mostly cooked.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato puree to the skillet. To get all of the puree out of the can add about 1/4 cup water to the can and swish around then pour into the skillet.
- Season with a bit of salt and add the Italian seasoning, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and a generous pinch of salt, set aside.
- Spray the base and sides of your slow cooker with a non-stick spray, then add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the sauce to the bottom, layer 3 pieces of lasagna noodles (you may have to break them in order to fit) on top then 1/4 of the sauce over the noodles followed by 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this process 2 more times. Finish off with the last 3 noodles, cover with the last 1/4 of the sauce and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cook lasagna on Low for 2 hours, then top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and continue to cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- After lasagna has cooked, remove the slow cooker insert and allow it to sit at room temperature for a minimum of 30 minutes before cutting.