A savory filling of cheese, fresh herbs and bacon are stuffed into tomatoes and baked to make a tasty appetizer in less than 30 minutes.
1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes 28 oz or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes 14.5 oz, drained1 1/2 cups low fat ricotta cheese1 cup chopped fresh parsley1 cup chopped fresh basil1 large egg, beaten2 garlic cloves, minced4 slices bacon, halvedSalt and black pepper to taste2 tablespoons honey, or maple syrup4 brochette skewers or 8-10 wooden or metal kebab skewers
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Neatly trim the stem-end of the whole peeled tomatoes and clean out the tomato center. Chop the stem-ends and reserve. Stand the tomatoes on a rack with the open side draining.
- If the skewers are wooden, soak for 15 minutes in cold water. In a large bowl place the chopped tomato ends, ricotta cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and egg. Mix well until smooth. Place in a large plastic sandwich bag trimming a corner for a hole or use a pastry bag. Refrigerate or use immediately.
- Stuff the tomatoes evenly until plump with the ricotta mix. Clean the opening with a towel. Refrigerate, if possible, before wrapping with bacon. Wrap each with bacon half and stick with a skewer. Set a roasting rack on a baking sheet and place the tomatoes seam side down.
- Roast the bacon wrapped tomatoes about 20 minutes.; As bacon cooks, the cheese mixture will firm up the tomato. Turn and continue to roast another 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Allow to cool before serving.
- Plate serving is two skewers per person. Drizzle lightly with honey. Serve separately or on top of a summer salad.