Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
A vegetarian chili doesn't have to be bland. Using pantry staples, vegetables, and spices, this chili has bold flavor and is also a gluten-free chili.
4 cups vegetable broth1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 medium yellow or red onion, chopped 4 garlic cloves, minced1 medium green bell pepper, chopped1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold® Tomato Sauce 15 oz1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 14.5 oz1 (14.5 ounce) can Red Gold® Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz2 tablespoons chili powder1 tablespoon ground cumin1 tablespoon dried oreganoSalt and black pepper to taste1 teaspoon sugar
Stove Top Directions:
- In a small saucepan cook quinoa in the 1½ cups vegetable broth according to package directions. There will be extra vegetable broth which will be added to the chili later.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and green pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients minus the remaining vegetable broth and quinoa, stir to combine. Continue cooking until chili reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the remaining vegetable broth and quinoa and stir to combine. Taste and seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- For a thicker chili, use 1 cup of quinoa instead of ½ cup.
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and stir thoroughly to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours or until chili is cooked through. Taste the chili and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Refrigerate in a sealed contain for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.